Tuesday, September 22, 2015

SQL To Select Random Rows From A Table

Today I was asked to randomly pull random 25 records from a database table for a client. It took me a minute or so to remember how to accomplish this.  With that being said, I thought I would type it up for everyone to be able to benefit from it.

I know there are a lot of ways to select random records or rows from a database table, but in this quick article I will show you the Microsoft SQL Server and MySQL syntax required to accomplish the end goal.

Microsoft SQL Server:
SELECT TOP 25 ColumnName FROM TableName
ORDER BY NEWID()

MySQL:
SELECT ColumnName FROM TableName
ORDER BY RAND()
LIMIT 25
If you like this post and want to see more, follow me on my website www.chadcompton.com
Or if you prefer...


No comments:

Post a Comment

Drop me a line.